I haven't finished it yet, but a few months ago I started reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp with one of my Bible study groups. The author, who has suffered tragedy in her life like so many people, strives to find joy in the midst of every day life. She does this by chronicling 1,000 of God's gifts that she experiences, no matter how small they may seem, to give thanks and fully experience grace. As I was reading, I realized that if she could find beauty and gratitude in doing the dishes because of the rainbow of colors in the soap bubbles, I could find little gifts all around me.
I have a long way to go to reach 1,000, but here are 10 of my favorite little gifts:
1. Chocolate chip cookies, fresh out of the oven
2. Listening to the sound of rain falling
3. Receiving a hand-written card or note
4. Overhearing children playing
5. Catching up with friends
6. Holding hands with someone you care about
7. Feeling sand between your toes
8. Catching your favorite song on the radio
9. Waking up and realizing you still have more time to sleep
10. Laughing until you cannot breathe
Where do you find God's little gifts in your daily life?