Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Then and Now...

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

When I was doing some work for an event tomorrow, I stumbled across this on our home computer. It was a survey I filled out back in July of 2005 (5.5 years ago!), and I just had to list 51 random things about myself. I was 17 years old at the time, about to be a senior in high school and no idea what I wanted to do next or where I wanted to go to college. Now, I am 23, a TCU alum, and have my first job in the "real world." I've had some amazing experiences since I've written this, and definitely learned a lot about myself and the world, but as I read through this, I realized that I haven't really changed much at all. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

Read below to see what I said about myself 5.5 years ago, and my comments today in italics. Enjoy : )

1. My middle name is Catherine. (This one is well, duh.)
2. I pretty much love any kind of Mexican or Italian food…and seafood. Yum! (Definitely. I can now add sushi to this list, too!)
3. My favorite color is pink. I also really love any shade of blue…and I really like turquoise! (Still LOVE pink, now add purple as a 2nd favorite color.)
4. I have been in color guard for the past 3 years, winter guard for two. (Did winterguard for 3 years, and color guard for EIGHT including college. Wow.)
5. I took tap dancing lessons for 12 years.(I miss this and would love to take an adult tap class!)
6. I competed in pageants until age 7. (Little known fact..my co-workers just recently found this out. I won some of these pageants, too!)
7. I have been on the newspaper staff for the past two years. (Did it for three years and went on to have a major in the school of journalism at TCU.)
8. Writing is my passion…whether it’s creative writing or journalism, I love it! I usually don’t even mind writing essays. (Still love writing, though I'm a little rusty on the journalism side. My job now definitely involves some writing, and clearly I love having this blog as a writing outlet!)
9. I love reading, even though I don’t do it as much as I would like to anymore. (Sadly, I hardly ever read anymore. When I do completely disconnect from the world, I love getting absorbed in a good book.)
10. I read over 100 books the summer before 7th grade. (How did I do that?! Clearly my social life was limited.)
11. I love little kids….I’ve always liked to baby-sit. (Still LOVE kids and miss working with them. During college I worked at a daycare, pre-school, and church nursery, and baby-sat!)
12. I used to always say I wanted 5 kids someday, and adopt at least one. However, I’ve become more reasonable…3 is a better number. (Still want three, but two might be better financially...and if money allows, I would love to adopt one.)
13. I was in TAFE last year and I taught 4th grade. >(Random story-- this past summer, SIX years after I taught the 4th grade class, a girl that I taught recognized me immediately. I felt really special.)
14. “The Notebook” is my favorite movie. (Still true.)
15. I love romantic comedies, romance novels, real-life romance…basically, I love anything romantic! (Still true. I cna be so sappy.)
16. I will listen to pretty much any kind of music. I don’t necessarily always know what I’m listening to or love it, but I give it a chance. (Love and appreciate any kind of music!)
17. I didn’t listen to country until a year ago. Now, it’s one of my favorite kinds of music. (Still is-- glad I found it!)
18. My favorite country group is Rascal Flatts. (Favorite is now Lady Antebellum. Will always have a special place in my heart for Rascal Flatts, though.)
19. I honestly barely ever watched TV my junior year. (I NEVER watch TV these days.)
20. When I used to watch tv, my favorite shows were American Dreams, ER, CSI, and back in the day….7th Heaven. (When I do tune in now, I like to watch reality things like 19 Kids and Counting.)
21. I really like shopping, especially with my friends. I usually don’t spend money very often, but it’s always fun to look. (Still the same...hard to talk myself into things, but like getting cute work clothes and heels!)
22. I like cute purses and shoes… (Haha, I commented on the one above before I even saw this one!)
23. I love having sleepovers with my chicas. Staying up all night just talking and laughing with them is the best. (Now I can't stay up all night. But I had a sleepover last weekend with my Little and loved talking late.)
24. I love movie nights with my friends. It’s so great to just relax and have fun without a care in the world. (Don't do these much anymore-- but love watching movies and snuggling with Alex.)
25. I love swimming and playing water volleyball. (Still love it-- also love laying in the sun.)
26. My favorite soda is Sunkist. I think I am addicted, I pretty much have one every day. (Now I drink classic Coca-Cola almost every day!)
27. I love lemonade, especially raspberry. (mmm, even though it's January, I want some now...)
28. I love anything chocolate. (Absolutely.)
29. Even though sunshine is nice, I looove storms. I love to read or sleep when it’s raining. (Enjoy storms as long as they don't involve hail or tornadoes.)
30. I was fascinated by tornadoes when I was little. I still kind of am. (Now I have more of a phobia of them...I was really close to one last fall, and it was one of the times I have been most scared in my life.)
31. My favorite kind of vacation would have to be relaxing on a Florida beach…so relaxing. (LOVE beach vacations...but now I have experienced the beautiful Hawaii and definitely want to go back...I'm thinking honeymoon?) : )32. I love to travel. I wish I could do more of it. (Agree.)
33. Going to Ireland was the first time I had been out of the US. (And since then I have gone one more time-- London and Paris March 2008 with Caroline!)
34. Ohio is the farthest North I have been in the US. (FALSE. I have now been to New York to visit Marissa!)
35. I want to travel all around Europe sometime in my life. (Still a nice goal.)
36. I really really really want to go back to Ireland and London. (Already went back to London, and would love to go again. Ireland too.)
37. I actually enjoy packing. (Depends how tired I am!)
38. I love pictures, whether it’s taking them or looking at them. (Duh. Have you seen my Facebook lately??)
39. I am very hard on myself. This makes me turn into a perfectionist at times. (Still true. Good thing I work with other perfectionists!)
40. I worry a lot, even when I definitely shouldn’t. (Definitely.)
41. I get stressed out easily. (Maybe? I'm getting better. Depends on the situation.)
42. I’m a patient person. (Definitely. Almost everyone says this.)
43. I don’t like hypocrites, snobs, or people who aren’t grateful for what they have. (Definitely don't, but I've realized we all are like this at some point.)
44. When I was little, I walked around on my tip-toes most of the time. To this day, it’s still really easy for me to do. (Still can.)
45. The whole left side of my body is stronger than my right. For a while when I was little, my parents weren’t sure if I would be right or left handed since I used both. I turned out to be right handed. (I think the left side is still stronger?)
46. I have a German Shephard that doesn’t really like anyone outside of my family. He’s always been our guard dog. (That was Hans...he actually died a few weeks after I wrote this. Sad. But now we have a loving, huge, playful dog named Jager that I love.)
47. I’ve lived in Coppell since I was 10. (Lived in Coppell and Fort Worth for four years while I was in college..now back in Coppell again.)
48. I went to private school for 4 years. I had to wear a uniform. (Still in contact with some people and teachers from that-- so cool.)
49. Ok… it’s getting harder to think of things. Hmm. I’ve been best friends with Briana since 6th grade. She moved here in the middle of the year and I was nice to her since she was the new girl…and the rest is history. Six years later and we are pretty much inseparateable. (We have now been best friends for 11 years. Crazy.)
50. I have the most amazing friends in the world. I’m so grateful for everyone in my life. (Love the people in my life-- and since I wrote this, I have met more amazing people that I could not imagine my life without. Funny how that works.)51. I’m in love with a wonderful boy. Guess who?? (Alex and I had been together for 11 months when I wrote this. We have now been together for 6.5 years, and I am more in love with him than ever. He is my soulmate and the love of my life.)

2005...


2010...

No comments:

Post a Comment