Monday, March 28, 2011

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

First things first-- The band Alex is a guitarist for in Dallas just released their first album on iTunes. Check it out- Love Revolution by NOVA. I am very proud, and I know that this is only the beginning!

From the first day I met Alex over 6.5 years ago, music has been what I associate him with more than anything. We met through marching band (our first conversation was actually in the band hall, of all places), and since then, I have watched him lead our high school band as a drum major, become an All-State saxophone player, perform two recitals, student teach in a competitive program, earn a music education degree, and teach so many young students how to play instruments through private lessons. He is now out in California working on a master's degree in music performance while teaching even more lessons, accompanying a student choir, and pursuing his dream of writing, recording, and performing his own music.

I have always loved music, but Alex has made me think about it so differently, whether he's introducing me to new songs, helping me to understand music, or attempting to teach me guitar chords. I have helped introduce him to some of the music he likes now (particularly Keith Urban), but having a boyfriend whose passion is music has given me a new perspective. Everyone identifies with music on some level. We have different tastes, but we all relate to it and appreciate it. There is no shortage of talent in the world or people to appreciate it, but we need people who are passionate to put their heart in writing and performing new music for us, and use it to change lives-- bring people together, help them through hard times, introduce them to something new, all of that and more.

Music is Alex's passion. He seems so at peace when he is playing guitar, and he could talk to you about music all day. He is such a patient teacher, and he truly loves what he is doing when he's writing or performing. So many people these days settle for a career but are unhappy with their lives, but music is what gets Alex fired up. I think my favorite thing is to watch him lead worship at church, because he does such a wonderful job of using his talent to praise God through music and inspires us all to do the same. I always think to myself that Alex makes me feel so content whenever I am with him and makes me want to be a better person, and I think a lot this comes from his unending faith and deep love for music. I know that no matter what he does with these gifts, he will inspire others, and that's what the world needs-- people who are passionate about something and can light that passion in others.



No comments:

Post a Comment