Thursday, October 4, 2012

Breakfast Challenge



While I am a morning person, I am not a breakfast person.

I know, I know, they say "breakfast is the most important meal of the day," and they're probably right.

And don't get me wrong, I do love traditional breakfast foods. Sometimes on Saturday mornings I like to make biscuits and bacon or pancakes with my parents, and late-night breakfast food with friends can be the best!

But, during the week, I can honestly say that I never eat breakfast anymore. I would rather savor a few more minutes of snoozing than wake up earlier just to prepare and eat something.  I'm never hungry right when I wake up.  And, on the mornings when I've brought breakfast with me to the office with good intentions of eating it, I always get caught up in my work and forget!

What I do have every morning is coffee, whether I bring it from home or stop at Starbucks.  So many mornings, my "breakfast" is a mocha frappucino (no whip) or a large cup of iced coffee.  Not healthy, and I should really cut back on the Starbucks trips to help my wallet, but it does the trick until lunchtime!

I am used to my breakfast-free lifestyle, but my friend Heather gave me a challenge that I've decided to accept. She dared me to eat breakfast every morning for a week. If it doesn't change my life, she'll let me continue with my two-meals-a-day lifestyle.  The only restriction is that it has to be somewhat healthy-- i.e. oatmeal, cereal, fruit, toast, eggs, etc.  No Pop Tarts or donuts.

I think I can totally do this.  

Day One starts tomorrow.

I'll be sure to report back on how it goes, but wish me luck... I may have to wake up early to work up an appetite!

Any other breakfast skippers out there?  Any of you that swear your entire day is thrown off if you don't eat it?


2 comments:

  1. I HATE not eating breakfast. I wake up hungry every day. Somedays I'm not as hungry, but it doesn't take too long for me to get hungry on those days. When I have to fast for lab work for my Dr, I always reward myself with McDonald's breakfast hahaha. Good luck on your challenge! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    -Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oatmeal is a yummy breakfast when a banana is added or a heart-healthy cereal with blueberries. I've been on a weight loss plan and have learned that breakfast protein is key to lasting energy during the day. Enjoy your breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete