Monday, February 25, 2013

Happy Birthday, Baby Sis!


"A sister is a forever friend."

My little sister Kristen turns 21 today! It's hard to believe since sometimes I feel like she should still be about 5 years old, but she's legal! The lucky duck got a snow day off from school today, and I was a little jealous when she texted a picture from her mid-afternoon happy hour.

I distinctly remember holding her, so soon after she came home from the hospital, when this picture was taken.  Truly, where does life go?


Being four years apart, sometimes growing up it was hard to relate to each other-- being 8 is very different than being 4, and being 16 is sure different than being 12! But the older we get, the less the age difference matters, and the closer we become.

Don't worry, there have been plenty of times where drive each other completely crazy, like when she'd try to bite me as a toddler or eat my flavored lip gloss.  And I might have used my older wisdom to outsmart her and get my way, and try to tell her what to do a little too often.

But having a sister is like no other bond in life.  You don't always like each other, but you know you always love each other.

Happy Birthday, Sissy! Thanks for being the connection to my childhood, my built-in best friend, and a source of unconditional love.  



3 comments:

  1. aww, sometimes I want to have a girl because I really want a daughter...but then I'm like well I need two because she has to have a sister...and since I am not cut out for four children, that's just not going to work. I can't imagine my life without my sisters, though.

    Sweet post. You two are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so sweet. seriously though, you both have perfect hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cute, now I miss my sister..

    ReplyDelete