Friday, December 14, 2012

In This World You Will Have Trouble


This week, so close to Christmas, I've heard so much sad news. 

A sorority sister's grandfather died, after her family has already faced great lost the past year.

A friend's mother passed away after her year-long battle with brain cancer.

Someone else I know lost their beautiful, young cousin in a tragic car accident.

Then, today, I learned of the shooting at an elementary school, with dozens of people killed, including innocent little children.  Words cannot even describe such a tragedy. 

With all of this heartache and despair in the midst of a season that's supposed to be filled with love and hope, you just want to ask "why?" 

I can't answer why terrible things happen to good and innocent people.  It doesn't make sense. Some people say "Everything happens for a reason."  I have a hard time saying that, because I believe in a God of love, compassion, and mercy, and it's hard to believe that a God of Love would choose to let awful things happen.   

What I do know, though, is that God has a hand in turning tragedy into good for those that love Him, and that He is here to comfort those that suffer.  It is often in our times of greatest sorrow that we realize how fragile and precious life is, and that we are here to comfort and support one another.

Verses I have looked to today:
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." -Psalm 46:1

“I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” -- John 16:33

Hug someone today and tell your family and friends that you love them.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment