Monday, November 12, 2012

Topknots & Curls

Girly as I am, I have never been good at styling hair.  I blame this partially on the fact that I have difficult hair, but it's probably also that I just don't have a knack for it.

My hair is pretty long these days, so I've recently been experimenting with it and trying to improve my styling skills beyond my daily 'do- straightened and parted on the right side.  And the occasional Snooki-inspired poof or classic low ponytail.

My friend Heather attempted to teach me how to do a topknot.

Her finished product was quite lovely:


The trick, she said, is making it high and tight.  

To create your own:
1. Flip your head over and gather your hair like you're doing a high, '80s style ponytail. It's okay if it's a little messy/there are bumps; you don't want to end up looking too ballerina. 
2. Wrap a hair tie nice and tight, as many times as it will go around.
3. Begin wrapping your hair around the top of your head clockwise, bobby pinning sections as you go. If you have layers, this part might be tricky. You may also need to pin underneath to keep the hair up in the bun.
4. Plenty of hairspray to keep everything in place.

Armed with Heather's lesson, I attempted my own top knot.  I had trouble getting it high enough, so I finally settled for an alternative bun.  I was pleased with the finished product-- there are many variations on this style! I haven't worn it to work yet, but maybe one of these days.


I've also been experimenting with my curling iron.  My hair is naturally straight as a stick and does not like to hold a curl.  If it's a humid day, forget it.  I'd like to achieve both the "loose, soft waves" look, as well as the tight Shirley Temple-style ringlets. I think part of the problem is my long hair weighing down the curls?  I haven't quite mastered it yet, but I'm making progress. 


Do you use a curling iron, straightener, or one of those rods to get your curls? What tips do you have for hair curling, topknot creating, or other fun hair styles? I'd love to hear them!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment